Thursday, March 5, 2009

Comic book reviews

comicbookblog1


Today I'm starting a new weekly comic book review. I don't read that many monthly titles. I tend to like single book stories (no cross overs, no need to read other books to get what's going on in the main book) I like mini series, graphic novels, and starting from issue #1 (I don't like jumping in the middle of a story)

This week I picked up...

Hellboy #40
Part 4 of The Wild Hunt story.
Written by Mike Mignola, art by Duncan Fegredo

Hellboy and Alice follow a little creature (imp or fairy?) who says that he was sent as a guide by Mab, but its a trap! Those little guys are nuts! Great art, as usual. I really need to read all of the back issues, as this mentions some things from past stories I haven't read yet.

There's a backup story "Baba Yaga's Feast" by Mignola, with art by Guy Davis. It's excellent! I love folk tales, especially weird Russian Baba Yaga stories. Again, the art is fantastic.

4 out of 5

Buffy Season 8, #23
Written by Drew Greenberg, art by Georges Jeanty

Buffy and Andrew go on a road trip to stop Simone, a rouge slayer. This is a really fun issue. I love Andrew! Such a geek, and so lovable. He and Buffy "geek bonding" is hilarious. This issue felt like an episode of the show, with just the right combination of action and humor.

5 out of 5

House of Mystery #11
Part 1 of The Space Between
Written by Matthew Sturges, art by Luca Rossi

First, the cover is probably my favorite of the series so far. But I don't know who does the covers! I looked through the whole issue, but no mention of a cover artist. Is it Luca Rossi?

Anyway...This is a great issue. We find out more about the weird floating couple, and where people go when they leave the House. Fig's father is still an asshole, and Harry and Fig finally sleep together. Oh, and the Administrator of Ceorel is really creepy!

5 out of 5

No comments: